Thursday, May 22, 2014

Blog hop-- what am I writing now? and 1 Corinthians 2:9

Laura McClellan invited me to do a blog hop in which I answer the following questions about my writing:

What am I working on?

I’m working on the second book in the Amish of Jamesport series, The Postcard.

The Postcard (David was a secondary character in Promised to Another, the third book of The Amish of Webster County)

David Lapp survived a “code blue” when he was in a buggy/semi truck accident in Seymour, Missouri. Now after extensive therapy he has lingering mobility problems and is still struggling to find his place in the world. Lured away from Webster County by thoughts of closed buggies and a postcard friendship he’s developed with an Amish girl in Jamesport, he moves north, hoping for a fresh start. He finds temporary work in the area teaching school, and also ties fishing flies for catching trout, and weaves baskets. He sells his products in the Amish markets in the Jamesport area.


Rachel Miller dreams of travel, but feels tied to her Amish life. She is being courted by Obadiah Graber, but wonders if there’s more to life. When she sees David’s name mentioned in The Budget, she strikes up a pen pal friendship with David while he’s in the hospital and in therapy, consoling him when he and his girlfriend part ways. She never dreams that David will come north and move into her community. 

David is still fearful in the buggy, especially in high traffic areas. Feeling he’s called by God to preach, David spends hours in the Bible, but the Amish discourage him, believing their ministers should be drawn by lot. Will David follow his call, even if it takes him out of the Amish church? Will Rachel realize her dream to travel?

How does my work differ from others in its genre?

Well, I don’t know. I am told it is different, but I don’t know how. So, I asked a few readers.

Dali: Loaded question. Hmmm. The romance. Your description of a look, a touch, a kiss is just megawow. The humor you throw in, in just the right places is never forced. It just fits so well. Your books are rereadable over and over again. In my humble opinion.

Judy: Well, in my humble opinion your books grab me from the very first paragraph and never lose my interest throughout the book. Your scenes are very descriptive. I picture myself right there with the characters. You throw in great romance without it being too much. Lots of love, faith and forgiveness too. I usually laugh and cry while reading your books and that's a good thing!

Nancee: As Dali stated, you create a romantic scene that builds up to a "wow" scene of passion without graphic details, but with a great deal of depth of feeling. I also feel that after reading one of your books, I'm closer to your characters than in other books. You bring their personalities to life, and create relationships that are believable, whereas some authors use stereotypes and lack originality.

Cindy:  One thing notable to me, is your books aren't set in the average Amish towns or states like Ohio or Pennsylvania. You also write, I feel like, from a knowledge that can only be gained from the understanding you have of the Amish, because your family was Amish. You do have sizzle in your love stories, but they are not graphic, nor do we feel voyeuristic after reading them. Often other Amish love stories fall a bit flat because they lack your sizzle. 

Why do I write what I do?  

Because I love it. I love to write, I’m glad God has called me to write, and I’m glad they are in book form. I'm a member of ACFW and someone asked how to know what genre they should write. The answer was to write the genre that you have the most of on your bookshelves (of keeper books). That is your favorite genre, write that.  I was curious, so, I went and checked. I have romantic suspense, historical, romance, women’s fiction, Amish…. Pretty much everything. I love writing Amish because it is contemporary, it is romance, and it enables me to explore my family history.  

How does your writing process work?

Well….. that is hard. I have no process. I am not  a plotter. I don’t do story boards.  I rely heavily on God and prayer. The characters tell me their names, and I let it simmer until I have a somewhat good opening line, then I dive in, blindly. I pray a lot. I love seeing where God takes the story and what the final message is, because if you were to ask me right now, I couldn’t tell you.  

I asked some of other members of ACFW to join me.  Check their blogs in a few days to see what they have to say. 

Julie Arduini has a few books releasing in the not to distant future. You will love her stories.   http://juliearduini.com.

Cindy Loven is a friend who is beginning to write some good children's books. Watch for her. Her post will be here:   http://cindylovenwrites.blogspot.com


June Foster publishers women's fiction/romance with deep issues. If you like issue-driven stories, check her out.   http://junefoster.blogspot.com








1 comment:

  1. Loved this, Laura! So fun to see your answers. :-)

    ReplyDelete